The Reconnect Grant can help you pay toward a diploma or certificate at a Tennessee College of Applied Technology (TCATs).
TCATs are located throughout the state of Tennessee, and they provide a wide range of technical and occupational training programs that connect students with high-quality careers.
Who is eligible?
- Be a Tennessee resident
- Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
- Qualify as an independent student on the FAFSA
- Not be incarcerated*
- Not be in default on student loan
- Not owe an outstanding balance to an institution
- Enroll full-time at a Tennessee College of Applied Technology
- Be in pursuit of a certificate or diploma
- Maintain continuous enrollment and satisfactory academic progress through program completion
*Currently incarcerated individuals (if eligible) may work with Re-Entry Navigators to prepare for attendance upon release.
How do I apply?
Students who wish to use the Reconnect Grant to attend a TCAT must submit the FAFSA by July 1 for summer term, November 1 for fall term, and March 1 for spring trimester.
You do not fill out a separate application for the Reconnect Grant if you want to attend a TCAT. Rather, you will need to simply apply to the TCAT you want to attend. The process for applying for the grant is handled by the TCAT you want to attend. For this, and any other aid you need, you will need to fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This ensures that you will receive all the federal aid you will qualify for. The Reconnect Grant is a last-dollar grant, so it funds the remaining tuition after any other federal and state financial aid have been awarded. The result for qualifying students is the same: Tuition-free education at TCAT.*
*Students are still financially responsible for books and supplies.
NOTE: If you want to use the Reconnect Grant to pursue a two-year associate degree by attending a community college or eligible four-year institution, the application process is different. Please visit “Reconnect for an Associate Degree” for more information.
If you want to use the Reconnect Grant to attend a TCAT institution in Tennessee:
1. Contact a TCAT near you and apply for admission: https://www.tbr.edu/tcat/institutions
2. Complete your FAFSA to apply for financial aid: https://studentaid.gov
3. Check on the status of your Reconnect Grant with the TCAT's Financial Aid Office.